Friday, November 30, 2007

Breathless



I finally got through finishing Jean-Luc Godard’s Breathless. I originally attempted to watch the film a couple years ago and immediately felt disgusted with myself for actually watching 40 minutes into it. I didn’t remember much of Breathless and for good reason. Breathless is as soulless as the existentialist world view that inspired it.

Breathless obviously inspired many of the more recent "auteurs" directors. I am sure Richard Linklater, Jim Jarmusch, and Quentin Tarantino were schooled with it. Keep in mind I do like a couple films from each of these directors (including Godard). Godard helped to innovate the horribly contrived philosophical conversations new “Independent” directors consider the highest expression of art. I felt embarrassed to be human after watching Richard Linklater’s Before Sunset and Before Sunrise. Are honkies really that lame?

"Each cigarette is one step closer to death"

I honesty can’t think of one redeeming characteristic of Breathless. When French “badass” cop killer Michel finally is forced into closing his mouth via bullet, I did feel somewhat refreshed. But of course this wasn’t enough to save Breathless. I’m not surprised that Michel’s character was based on Humphrey Bogart. My hatred for this man cannot be accurately articulated.

Breathless appeals to the most pretentious of Marxist film fans. The reason for this is theres nothing in it to complain about. No racism, No sexism, No ageism, and No sign of life. Contrived sunglasses, half burnt cigarettes in mouths, and fancy hats make for the ideal COOL cosmopolitan criminal. But really, Michel seems more like the victim of a gang raping in Washington D.C.

"My sunglasses hide the inconceivable pain that my eyes reveal"

If you want to watch a film that features boring dialog about questions in life that are somehow supposed create the essence of their lives than Breathless is the film for you. Novelty intellectualism has been trendy for a while so this “masterpiece” hasn’t tarnished. Contempt is my favorite film from Godard and the title sums of my feelings for the New Wave auteur.


"I am the truest of auteurs. My films are my soul on celluloid."


Theres no doubt in my mind that Jean-Luc Godard truly feels cinema is dead. Breathless perfectly compliments that theory.

-Ty E


2 comments:

  1. peregrine fforbes-hamiltonMay 23, 2009 at 3:21 PM

    i want to bugger jean seberg (as she was in 1959, not as she is now obviously), by the way, jean-luc godard is a pile of dog-shit and so are all of his films, the only good thing about him is that he likes little girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "All you need for a movie is a girl with a big knob stuck up her bum (preferably filmed in POV so the blokes arse doesn`t come into shot and spoil my wank)".

    ReplyDelete