Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Burial Ground


Before you begin getting all excited that i am talking about the Italian zombie film, let me tell you this is not the same film. Alexander Shevchenko (Nails and Visions of Suffering) has had an illustrious acting career already and has worked on music and digital effects for most of Andrey Iskanov's filmography.

His short "Burial Ground" is without a doubt in my mind, the most horrifying 7 minutes i have ever spent in my life. Not only did this short alarm me with it's gratuitous static and radiation noises, but it made me fear things that cannot be explained. I will not bother to explain the plot for then the effect will be gone.


Your best bet is to watch this on your own, without hearing anything about it. This film and another of his shorts "HOMUNCULUS" will be on The Tourist DVD, and believe me, it is worth the wait. Burial Ground features some of the most bleak, aesthetic shots i have witnessed, and the sound effects of the wind, radiation meter, distorted breathing and proses make for a terrifying treat.

Not only has Alex proved his acting worth by playing a trepanning hitman, but he has also proved that he has what it takes to be a visual idealist in the world of horror. I applaud this short for scaring me shitless. Bravo. Burial Ground is a visual dystopian poem.


-Maq

1 comment: