Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Slumdog Millionaire


Hype and appraisal can indeed be a serrated-edged coin. On one surface, you face the logic of opinion and the other side represents the quality of said material. For perfect example, Had The Dark Knight not been a great film, consensus would still agree on cementing the films present status of "Best film of 2008!" due to the untimely passing of Heath Ledger. For me, two films fit this niche in 2008; Let the Right One In and Slumdog Millionaire. To stray from my point, Let the Right One In has been hailed as the single greatest vampire tale of all time. In my many attempts to watch it, I haven't surpassed 20 minutes running time all thanks to the sluggish pace at which it crawls effortlessly. However, I won't make my decision until I've finally digested it in its whole.


Danny Boyle is a name I can rely on within Hollywood. While I didn't flock to his weepy tale of Millions, I found his previous efforts in 1995's Shallow Grave and 2002's 28 Days Later (the first half). His career has been aesthetically luxurious and earnest. With his recent dabbling in multiculturalism, Slumdog Millionaire takes City of God inspired narrations of a troubled childhood and adds Bollywood flavor in what takes place at a Hindi version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire? For what it's worth, Bollywood is famous in our American culture for their unabashed rip-offs, remakes, forgeries, and other doppelganging oddities.


Voiced by a throbbing Hindi electro soundtrack led by bumping tracks from M.I.A., It's nice to finally see a film that uses smash hit Paper Planes to such an effective degree. Better yet, the culture of this film fits rather close to the characters featured in Slumdog Millionaire. The acting is stellar but I cannot find much porous material in Jamal to latch upon. Sure, the film is a filling outing in cinema, but it's stuck on the appetizer. Slumdog Millionaire definitely feels like it's missing something. The array of questions throughout Slumdog Millionaire coincide with events that transpired in his past creating this buoyant Déjà vu that fills you with glee.


Slumdog Millionaire is a solemn film of many virtues. It's a thing of beauty. It isn't perfect and it never strived to be. When Danny Boyle created this film, I'm sure he had no expectations of his latest film to be called the single greatest film of 2008. What a way to cap off the end of such a prosperous year. Redefining inspirational cinema, Slumdog Millionaire will tug at your heartstrings. For once, I'm not discouraged of liking something so one-sidedly well-received. Had I not liked this film, the surprise dance number at the end might have made me vomit in my mouth a little.


-mAQ

2 comments:

  1. Although we disagree on The Dark Knight, I like the point you make about outside variables effecting the reputation of a film. Surely it's no fault of TDKs that Ledger died and neither is it Let The Right One In's fault that people label it the "best vamp movie ever!", but those things type of happenings will either push or pull people away from films... it's unfair, but.

    And now, Slumdog is suffering a backlash for it's popularity and hype. I didn't care for the film myself, but it still irritates me when people dislike (or like) a film just because the trend is carrying it that way. And I would guess that people like Boyle would feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. jervaise brooke hamsterApril 3, 2009 at 2:27 PM

    slumdog millionaire is a freshly piddled pool of elephants diarrhoea, and thats being nice to it!, and Danny boyle is a ludicrous pathetic joke who could`nt make a good film, (or even a mediocre one), if his life depended on it.

    ReplyDelete