Friday, February 27, 2009

Hot Rod


I've said it before and I'll say it again; I hate reviewing comedies. As long as there's free will, tastes will change and vary from anothers. I might bring about a point of a certain joke revolving around the heydays of slapstick comedy and one might snap back with a comment putting Apatow on a pedestal. So rather than expecting you to enjoy this comedy, I'm merely reiterating my thoughts on this film down on digital paper, more so as a personal exorcism. This has been a long time coming.


Hot Rod is the film created by the now famous Lonely Island trio of Akiva Schaffer, Andy Samberg, and Jorma Taccone. This group smashed into the mainstream with videos for both "Dick in a Box" and "Jizz in my Pants". As juvenile as these videos are, one can't help but to laugh. Hot Rod stars Andy Samberg as a struggling stunt man attempting to raise money for his step father's "conveniently priced surgery". Before you think this film has layers of sentiment, this is all so he can beat his step-father's ass without him dying. The subplot of Hot Rod is a dignified father/son machismo tournament where winner takes all. The weapons available are shurikens, dry wall, Rhodesian fighting sticks, ultimate punches, and Vietnam flashbacks. Hot Rod really is one of a kind.


For scenes of clever and dry comedy, Hot Rod is the purveyor of such. Danny McBride churns out line after line, each presenting something new, quotable, and dead hilarious. Hot Rod, as a scene collective, is the greatest buddy comedy ever. Watch this with as many friends as you can as the experience is one to appreciate. When I saw this film in theaters, it was between this and Superbad. Knowing that Superbad was going to be trashy, foul, and uninspired, I decided to go for the underdog. Let me tell you, that decision is a glowing point in my life. During one wooded glen Footloose scene in particular, a fall occurs over an extended period of time and I've never laughed so hard in my entire meaningless existence. I was hunched over a stadium seat crying from violent fits of laughter. I wouldn't be surprised if I was retching.



Apart from this scene, so much more stands out. Brief improvisations such as "Pools are perfect for holding water, man..." or Rico's dream description in which he describes him dreaming about punching a thousand wizards as hard as he can in the face so they explode. He then goes into detail about how the wizard wives all come out wanting to have sex with him. Who writes this stuff? Give it time and Hot Rod will finally be realized as comedy gold. All great things realized over time eventually get their due. All these scenes don't even scratch the surface. The golden treat of this film is the retro soundtrack that passes vibes like Hurricane Katrina passes levees. Too soon?


Reviewing comedies is like telling someone their opinion is wrong, which in some cases in necessary. You hate my comedies and I probably don't like yours. If there ever were a film to topple the quote king Anchorman, Hot Rod is that golden messiah, but with a cape and a stick-on mustache. With quiet hits like Space Olympics, Blizzard Man, and Jizz in my Pants, Andy Samberg is quickly becoming an honest comical figure. I'd much prefer his glorification than Seth Rogen making the same faces and starring in one-note films. Best of all? I never tire of Hot Rod. I could watch this film on repeat.


-mAQ

2 comments:

  1. Good write-up on this movie. I'm not a big fan of comedies. I don't want them that often. I'll definitely have to check this one out now. I had wondered about it, but wasn't sure if I would like it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. jervaise brooke hamsterMay 1, 2009 at 5:08 PM

    the problem with all modern comedy films is that they are all (without exeption) so embarressingly and excruciatingly unfunny, thats why i still prefer to watch laurel and hardy, although what spoils their films for me a little bit is knowing that stan laurel was british scum, but i try to overlook that because they are so hilarious (and they were not pansy filth either, they were both rampantly heterosexual men). BLOODY DIRTY BRITISH SCUM.

    ReplyDelete