Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Eden Lake


Look at me. Look at what I've become. Underneath this pseudonym, I've transgressed through a long journey through the discovery of the arts. It started first in the pits with film, then onto bizarro literature (Thanks to Carlton Mellick III), then onto avant-garde music and such. All of the knowledge, all the experience, even the desensitization I've gone through; nothing could prepare me for Eden Lake. While being a film that appeals to a certain crowd, the thematic aesthetics prepared are such that gave me cramps from intense suspense.


A new bar in terror has been set. Blossoming from a solemn recommendation from my dear Pete, I couldn't help but feel amazed that the master of the underground suggested I watch a film that would be available in local Best Buy's. That's normally a good sign. I set out to give this film a fluttering chance, seeing as how it sounded like a Chavvy remake of Them (Ils). My respectful opinion (and review) leans towards this film being one of the most brutally uncompromising films of the decade. When I first viewed the "infamous" fire extinguisher scene in Irreversible, my jaw was agape. For most of Eden Lake, the same symptom occurred. I'd be lying if I denied taking minute breaks from the emotional intensity this film provided.


The fine line between complex story lines and artistic merits is surpassed and forgotten about shortly thereafter. Eden Lake doesn't need these to weigh it down. I'd rather not admire set pieces while I fear for my beloved Kelly Reilly's life. Eden Lake is a blanketed genre film almost similar to that of Summer Scars. While being evocative, new thrills are provided and a twist ending that will have you hitting puberty again. The tortured childhood theme works against time in a counter spin creating differing opinions of a fragile adolescence. Childhood has never been so violent, or has it?


A loving couple including 300's Michael Fassbender and the super sexy Kelly Reilly decide to escape the world and go on a nature retreat. The encounter some unsavory youths and decide to confront them. This leads into a minor scrapping which leads into a game of cat & mouse in the forest - these kids play place. To better suit the new horror generation, mostly directed towards the French-Euro horror phase, the hero (or rather, heroine) has been developed as a ravishing creature to expunge any leftover feminist "juice" that has been left in the horror generator.


When I first watched fellow Dimension Extreme film Inside, I felt that what was provided was tense, disturbing, and merciless. This crown is being withdrew and placed on James Watkins' head. After seeing similar Chav hatefests such as Donkey Punch, I now realize how horrible the "urban effect" has been on our culture. Sure, this is just a film, but living in Maryland, I witness similar occurrences daily. Eden Lake left me speechless with no where to turn to. Love it or hate it, this is a roller coaster ride, if there ever were.


-mAQ

4 comments:

  1. Wow ~ this sounds like a great film ~ I am going to go add it to my Netflix Queue immediately.

    Excellent Review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the british film industry is an abomination which must be destroyed with malice-a-fore-thought and extreme prejudice to stop it once and for all from ever again producing unwatchable horse-shit like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Careful what you say man from laramie - this film may be rubbish (can't comment as I haven't seen it, I'm just experiencing a crush on Kelly Reilly hence my visit to this site ), but your comments on the British film industry only expose your ignorance and stupidity.

    ReplyDelete