Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Interview with Antonello Giallo


Isle of the Damned, shot on location in Argentina in 1980, brought filmmaker Antonello Giallo under fire yet again... this time by the Argentinean government, who issued a warrant for Giallo's arrest under suspicions of abuse of the native peoples. Giallo fled the country before he could go to trial. The film has been long out of print, but is presented here in a digitally remastered form. This is an interview with Antonello Giallo in regard to his "lost" masterpiece Isle of the Damned.


SS: So Antonello, what made you decided to the direct the epic Cannibal film that is Isle of the Damned?

AG: Well when I first met my wife... me make vacation in Argentina. We go on a safari with native guide who show us to eat genitals of pig. I take my 8mm camera and make home movie of this and other rituals. I use this footage in Isola del Maledetto, and create a story about these adventure men who go to island but instead of eating pig genitals, is their genitals which becomes food.

SS:
Did you ever hear Ruggero Deodato, director of Cannibal Holocaust, response to Isle of the Damned?

AG: I know Ruggero from when we both wee pizans working on diarrhea art film. He knew my script before he make his film. I show him my home movies, and behind my back he steal idea and get very rich. Then Isola come out and Ruggero say I steal his story. Bastardo!


SS: What Italian filmmakers influenced your filmmaking?

AG: I like the films of Mario Bava... when I younger I work on the set of his movie, Ercole al centro della terra.

SS: Did any stupid American filmmakers influence your filmmaking?

AG:
I enjoy films make by Alfred Hitchcock, and very much the films of George Romero, also I like very much the films of Howard Hawks.

SS:
Who is the dumbest American working in Hollywood?

AG:
I no like this new movie Star Wars... it very unrealistic.


SS:
I hear you have a new Italian masterpiece in the works? Tell me about this Antonello.

AG: Right now we make new film, in USA called, City of the Damned. It very exciting, very big budget. Based on true story of what happens when teenage boys play too much this Dungeons and Dragons and demons rise from underworld to enslave many men.

SS:
Did you ever get the chance to meet Pier Paolo Pasolini before his untimely death? Did you see his final masterpiece "Salo or the 120 Days of Sodom?"

AG:
Yes, I like this film. I often think what it would be like to do this what the actors of the film do. Is very fun vacation but I think my wife not like.

SS: Antonello, I have heard you used to wine and dine with Lucio Fulci?

AG: Yes, but he never phone me no more. I not sure this reason.


SS:
Can you tell us anything personal about the actors from Isle of the Damned?

AG:
People say very mean, untrue thing about the actors of this film... and I would like to say that I never made control of actors with LSD for Isola del Maledetto. They all good people who is very much dedication to art and acting.

SS: Did you indulge in any hedonistic activities during the filming of Isle of the Damned?

AG: We prepare our minds for this jungle travelling. The film compare man versus beast and civilization versus savage. Anything we did in the film was being done already by the Yamma Yamma, but hedonistic... no. Was natural, yes?

SS:
What can we expect from you in the future?

AG: Once I make City of the Damned, next I probably do script called Barbarian Sex Warriors, movie about outerspace gladiator mans who enjoy very much to punish woman sexually.



For more info on Isle of the Damned and Antonello Giallo

CLICK HERE

3 comments:

  1. "Based on true story of what happens when teenage boys play too much this Dungeons and Dragons and demons rise from underworld to enslave many men."

    HAHAHA.... friggin' great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do hope you took the time to explain why dear Lucio will not be phoning and why he hasn;t been in touch

    ReplyDelete